Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Banned books

When I was a teenager, my father would read books that I was not allowed to: the Ian Fleming books, The Carpetbaggers, The Day They Shook The Plum Tree. Mostly it was sex, I think, that caused my parents to ban them.

I read a lot of biographies/autobiographies/histories of the various concentration camps my senior year. Seems like that would have been a more appropriate topic to monitor.

I am now going back and reading the banned books. I think I would have quit if the parents hadn't made such a big deal about it.

I'm sure there is a lesson here.

2 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by over at my place, and letting me know you were there. I plan to come back and read through your archives over my long holiday weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

I once pissed off a librarian who had books that she actually WANTED to ban from children. I told her about a book with the story of a girl who was raped then returned to her family, who killed her, cut her up into pieces and sent the parts to the enemy. The librarian suggested that this book should be banned. Then she got really angry when I explained to her that it was a Bible passage in the Book of Judges.