Saturday, November 7, 2009

Weird week

We had more testing this week, where all of my Juniors (half of each class) were out for state testing so I had to come up with something to do with the rest that won't penalize the Juniors - so we had a catch-up day.

Because half the students were out, because we were doing catch-up work (you know, all the stuff that they won't turn in), I had time to talk with the kids.

I learned or overheard:
· “My parents kicked me out. Then my grandparents kicked me out. Then my boyfriend dumped me and I moved back home.” She was in middle school.
· One student’s father was murdered when he was 7. His mother was in jail at the time, so he was sent to live with relatives. No one wanted to talk about the murder.
· Another lived with a stepfather who raped her from the time she was 8 until she was 10. Then she was kicked out of the house and sent to foster care.
· I have seven students with children. The oldest is 18, the youngest 16 – their children are 10 months to 2 and a half.
· Another told me I could call his parents if I want – they won’t care (and they didn’t). He is actually a good kid with lousy attendance.
· A girl told me her father said she may as well drop out – she’s too stupid to graduate.

I want to fix all of it - I knew some had burdens. Maybe it lightens it to share. I hope so.

4 comments:

Kim Hughey said...

Wow, that puts things in perspective. I was thinking this week that I need to spend a little more time visiting with my MMA classes. I get so goal driven that all I care about is accomplishing my goals for the week and I get frustrated with those who get in my way of accomplishing the task.

These kids just need some adult interaction sometimes and I think you can get a little more work out of them if you spend a little time talking to them. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Ricochet said...

I have one student in foster care who is about to age out. He was really giving me grief: not turning work in, not coming to school - then I learned about the foster care and I could see his age. I have another student who already aged out. I offered (after talking to the older one) to put them together - haven't had a chance. Older can counsel younger in a way adults really can't.

Older knows the importance of the math I am teaching. Younger I think finally grasped it - he is certainly trying more.

And there are all the stories I don't know.

teachin' said...

Don't the stories break your heart? I just can't understand how adults can treat children the way that some of them do....

Ricochet said...

This is what keeps me at this school. Certainly not Mr. Ego, Funsucker or the others.