Saturday, November 28, 2009

Don't get comfortable

Erma Bombeck:

I always had a dream that when I am asked to give an accounting of my life to a higher court, it will go like this:

"So empty out your pockets. What have you got left of your life? Any dreams that were unfulfilled? Any unused talent that we gave you when you were born that you still have left? Any unsaid compliments or bits of love that you haven't spread around?"

And I will answer, "I've nothing to return. I spent everything You gave me. I'm as naked as the day I was born!"

=======
I have had a week to clean house, ignore schoolwork, reflect on things. I have watched the Last Lecture and last night watched a special on Erma Bombeck. Both Randy Pausch and Erma Bombeck reflected on their childhood dreams and how the teachers they met on their journeys encouraged them. In Erma's case, a bad teacher almost talked her out of writing. (See, Mr. Ego, you CAN affect their lives!!)

I want to be the one who raises the bar, helps you become more than you thought you can be, not the Mr. Ego or Funsucker of your life.

And that is why I blog.

"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life. " — Brian Andreas

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I tell students outright that I believe the goal of education is to think well about life. I tell them that I will ask hard questions.

I don't believe my "goal" is to change them. Inspire? Sometimes. Encourage? Often. Love? Always.

Sometimes I get discouraged along this journey. Growth can be slow for some students. I feel like such a small piece of the puzzle. But then I meet students who remember my class and send an e-mail or stop by to say thank you and it reminds me that teachers have a powerful voice in a student's life.

Ricochet said...

I had an ex-student tell me recently that I was the only person (person not teacher) who ever believed in him/her.

Unbelievably sad - but I figure that is the purpose in teaching. And I teach students, not math......

I believe. I truly believe!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I recently told a senior whom I've never had until this year that she was too smart to have Ds in some of her classes. She looked at me and said, "really?, you think so?" Well, duh, I don't say what I don't mean. No one had ever said that to her. What's with these teachers? For years I only taught in our smaller learning community where I pushed and shoved and cajoled kids to do better. I just figured everyone else was out there doing the same with the other students.

Your points are well taken, and another reason I want to move to SF and give that dream a try. My students, by the way, are rooting for me.

Ricochet said...

Dkzody, I am rooting for you too!! SF is one of the world's most beautiful cities - if not the best. I love everything about it - except the cost of living (vbg)!