Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to the drawing board.

Today I reviewed for a test on Chapter 1. Of the ones that tried, they struggle with order of operations and inequalities and solving equations. They could read bar graphs.

Talking to the department chair, I am thinking about changing direction/focus (sort of). Still do mostly graphing and solving equations but lower my expectations and see if I can jump start an interest in math. Who knows, maybe they will then start to learn some of things they've been offered and not accepted.

Maybe graphing pictures for a while - discussing slope, intercepts, etc while they color.

I say this after a day of drama (fight, accusations, arrest) so it seems reasonable now. I was complemented for not giving up - how is that for lowered expectations?

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

My AP says just "raise your expectations and they will rise to the level." He is not from earth.

Ricochet said...

Nope.

I found out what my department chair's expectation is: give them a review guide for the test and let them bring it to the test.

Rubs me the wrong way.