Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Repeater class

I have 15 kids in a class who have been unable to pass Algebra 1 despite several attempts.

I have 3 who have passed it - in middle school - and passed geometry and algebra 2 since.

Since they passed it in Middle School, they don't have high school credit and have to retake it. I have been unable to come up with alternatives which would allow these three to succeed in a better environment. Like doing it on line. No go.

I am giving them the option of taking the chapter tests in the book at home in addition to what I do in class in order to earn better than a C. I am aiming the rest for a C.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

You don't have to get them through a standardized test? And, only 15 in the class! You are already way ahead of us in NY.

Ricochet said...

They have to take a standardized test which is 15% of their grade. As long as the kids have an 82 in the class, they will pass the course. And they can pass the course without passing the test - and they won't pass the test.

Gave my first test, one of the two passed with an A. My average grade was a 55. Sigh. I let them use the review as a guide. And parts of it were the same.