Friday, September 18, 2009

out of the mouths of babes

What a week.

Mr. Ego continues to dig his hole, promising the students that the rest of us cannot do the math he teaches. It;s Advanced Algebra and Trig. Wow - that really helps anyone.

I wrote two kids up for skipping. I love their reasons for not being in my class. One said "I was in the library doing work for Miss A and Mrs. B. Technically, that's not skipping." My reply: you weren't in my room, you didn't ask for permission, I had no idea where you were. Technically, that is the definition of skipping.

Two: looking at the paper I take role on. "How could you tell I was skipping if that's how you take role?" I explained I take a paper copy - then enter it in the computer where I can see whether he has checked out or was present in his other classes. "I am never cutting your class again."

Wrote up a boy for taking his phone out and texting. He said it's my fault.

Wrote another up in the same class for the same thing. Then I look up and he has it hidden in his hat and is texting again. I asked if he really thought I was that stupid. He was both the third and 4th I caught today - I finally got fed up (since they are getting worse) and wrote them up. I will now get yelled out for having too many write ups.

2 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I've pretty much given up on writing kids up--except when they get physical with each other. Our principal doesn't want to be bothered with discipline, so I handle it myself. Sometimes I wish I could just send 'em out of the room and wash my hands of 'em, but as long as the principal keeps saying, "You handle it," I will. (*sigh*)

Ricochet said...

We get comments if we don't write them up and comments when we do. We are supposed to write up every tardy - most of us are behind on that.

I had given up on phones this year until darling boy decided to haul it out in front of me and text. He didn't even try to hide it. He has been pushing the envelop on everything this year and I had to draw the line - that impacts everyone else. We're talking cussing, slurs, skipping class - he acts as if I am a pushover, and then gets mad when I do what I say I will do.

And if I write him up, I have to write others (not so blatant) up.

AAARRRGGGH