Saturday, September 5, 2009

Students and choices

We've had a lot of kids out. Some have the flu (some are told it's swine flu), but at least two of mine are incarcerated. I noticed one has fallen off my roll and when I look at he enrollment history, he has been incarcerated some part of each of the last 4 years. I don't know what he did, but he obviously has made choices that will affect his life forever.

Another is on his second incarceration in his third year as a 9th grader.

Had a girl tell me she'll never pass because of the change in co-teachers. She is in her third year as a ninth grader as well. Her response to having a new teacher? Instead of working on a project in class it was to color advertisements for some band gig of her baby-daddy - something at least two other teachers have told her to stop doing this week.

I have three people in one class who choose to be late to class, skip - or just not come - this is for my repeater course. There is another boy in that class that I haven't even seen in 3 weeks.

And another who I have only seen once.

I will focus on the ones who come and the ones who try. But I will try to reach all of them.

Like POD has said - how do I teach them if they aren't there?

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Our admin would claim that we were not engaging them enough. If we did, they would come. Someone posted on my blog "we should speak to them and find out why they are not coming." It is always the teacher's fault.

Good luck. I will be commiserating with you next week.

Ricochet said...

And it helps to know that I am not alone in my little boat!!

I have one kid who has been in small group until now and gives up if challenged at all. I press on!