Saturday, September 26, 2009

How are you supposed to do your job?

When you team teach, you are supposed to meet together at least once a week, fill out a log which goes to the SPED department chair. This isn't difficult if you have the same planning period. If not, you are supposed to get together before or after school, in addition to duties, department meetings - and, oh yes, tutoring the little darlings who will not pay attention during class.

I have been trying all year (6 weeks) to plan with one of these teachers. Now, I am aware she thinks a lot of herself. She is certified in math (most aren't) and has taught 8 years. And she has taught the subject we are teaching together.

But, it is HER department chair who wants the meetings and logs.

I kept asking, held a meeting with her department chair, and finally emailed Ms. Fullofherself requesting a meeting, and blind copied the chair - who replied to Ms. Fullofherself. There was no love there to begin with, and now that woman is impossible.

We were told we needed common assessment, in a form that will allow us to collect data(so, multiple-choice, my least favorite way of testing in math). Ms. Fullofherself tells the rest of us that she has the common assessments. Great, it means we don't have to do them. I wait. I wait. I finally email her and ask if she is going to share (ok, I was more polite but they aren;t common if only she has them). SHE DOESN'T HAVE THEM. She has chapter tests that we can change to common assessments. Big woop - so do I.

I cannot figure out what drives this woman. I thought she'd taught more than 20 years, because she has that level of rigidity. (POD, not every experienced teacher has it, you don't seem to - but you know what I mean). Turns out not to be true. I wonder what she did before.

She wants to take the kids with small group testing to the library. Does the school not realize what a liability that is for them? THE LIBRARY IS NOT A SMALL GROUP - IT IS A MAJOR DISTRACTION. But, you want to know something - I am past protecting her. Or the school.

She has earned her reputation and I just want to do mu job without her messing the kids up.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Rigidity is a mindset, not a number. I'm much "younger" in attitude than many teachers 20 years younger than I am.