Saturday, September 12, 2009

Teachers as inconsiderate as students

We have to work football games - 5 athletic events during the year, so football, wrestling, swim team, take your pick. I did the football game. One of my peers (and I use the term in lieu of others that come to mind)spent the ENTIRE time on the phone. She made major errors adding her portion of the till up and then refused to recount, leaving it to the rest of us. And she stayed on the phone. I finally had to tell her to get off the phone or leave because I couldn't count with her TALKING constantly. She left rather than say to her friend that she had something to do.

And no, it wasn't an emergency - it was planning which movie she was going to watch with the friends the next day.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I don't know which is bothering me more--your colleague on the phone or the fact that you had to work a sporting event! Maybe we don't have it so bad in NYC.

Ricochet said...

We used to get paid for them - that went when the furloughs came in. You do know that football (at least) is a religion in parts of the south so maybe this is a religious thing.

A lot of the principals are ex-coaches and sports does get more attention than lowly academics.

Our other duties are one-day-a-week in the cafeteria and one-day-a-week monitoring kids before school or the after school buses. And tutoring twice a week.

Yours?

Pissedoffteacher said...

We have what is called a C-6 assignment. It could involve hall patrol, tutoring, book room duty, and it is one period a day. This semester, because of the team teaching, my C-6 will be working with the other teacher, so I lucked out here.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

This colleague is a genuine boor!