Thursday, September 17, 2009

Another Jerky Colleague

One of the members in the department is telling his students that they should only go to him for tutoring as the rest of us are incompetent. I have tutored his kids before - he is very rigid in the way he teaches and only accepts certain ways of working problems.

The rest of the department is turning his kids back when they come for help and telling them they need to go see Mr. Ego.

I rather enjoy helping them (as I have in the past) and having them yell down the hall (oh, we are so subtle in my school): "I passed because of you!

Kids don't like him (because of his rigidity) - does he honestly think they won't tell teachers they like better? Not me, but there are some sweet (and competent) people in the department.

One of the joys of team teaching is teaching with someone you respect. My Buddy taught a problem in a way I wouldn't have (but got the right answer). Then I worked it - and we talked about our rationale for choosing the way we had. And that this gave them a way to check the answers. That was unplanned but fun!

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Ah, the sweet subtlety of children!

"I passed because of you!" Hahaha. I hope Mr. Ego heard it!