Monday, August 31, 2009

How in the world do I reach them?

I know the 2 most important things I can teach in Algebra 1 are solving equations and graphing. But I can't even start there because their math is so low.

Today, one kid checked himself out before my class started because he's 18 and he can.

One boy said he dropped out last year and only came back because it was boring at home with everyone at school - but he's dropping out again at Christmas.

Two boys talked non-stop. Bear in mind I am preparing for a test.

One boy slept.

And another boy just copped attitude the whole hour.

The girls tried or were quiet.

I am resigned to failing 2/3 and I know that they act like this because they don't know it but I don't know how to make it simpler.

2 comments:

Kim Hughey said...

I feel your pain sister! Hang in there.

Pissedoffteacher said...

In my school, the teacher would be held accountable for not "engaging" them.

I know what you are going through and will be doing the same things next week.

I dread handing out calculators because I know they will steal the batteries and really mess them up.