Thursday, August 6, 2009

Math teachers should KNOW better about measuring twice

There is an article in today's paper that the Port of Seattle is going to lose $1 Million because they mismeasured a trench. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/05/Port-of-Seattle-mistake-could-prove-costly/UPI-60291249496515/

The trench is 2.5" wide where it should be 2.52" and the cables that need to go into the trench do not fit.

My oldest wanted a new mattress. She sleeps on futons on our old (double) bed. The futons are Queen size, so a Queen mattress will fit, right? No.

The new mattress came today and is 5" too long for the frame. I assured the delivery man that it was my fault and we would fix it and we were pleased with the mattress. I'm sure he isn't sure I was telling the truth.

My husband is annoyed because he asked if I was sure before they bought the mattress (note: he could have measured the frame). I was (and I was wrong). Daughter is upset because she is having to undo her room so we can fix the length of the frame. Hubby is also upset because he has to do it.

Guess I should have measured and remembered what ASSUME means.

On the other hand, this is fixable with minor inconvenience and daughter has a much better bed (well, mattress) as soon as we are finished.

No comments: