Saturday, August 29, 2009

team teaching

I hate team teaching.

Not a fair statement. At this point I have team taught with 6 teachers (varying lengths of time) - one was awesome. Two are with me this year. One looks promising, one looks like something to be survived - by me and the students.

She will not plan with me. We do not have common planning, but she stops by my room in the morning to drop stuff off but never says anything. And then wants to plan while the kids are there (not going to happen).

I gave a quiz this week. She talked (low voice, but talking) to a student the whole time - and this kids is not on her roll. She will only work with 2 of the kids (one on her roll, one not) in a large class. She says she will only help those who want to work. (Gee, can I only teach those kids?) Then she started talking to me - until I reminded her that there were still people talking the quiz. (Wouldn't you think my saying "stop talking = there are still tests out" to the class would apply to her as well?)

I don't want to go to her department chair but this teacher is real into what she will and will not do. (It's like having someone clean your house, except they don't vacuum, do windows, do laundry or pick up. And no, I don't see her as my assistant.)

If she really pushes it, I will put my certificate on the bulletin board, as she is not certified in this subject. Other teacher is.

She argues with me about how to do the math. In class. Across the room. (I am right - not because I have to be right, because I have been known to make mistakes and admit it when I do, but because I know this material. I would never do this to her - even she makes basic errors. I correct her after the kids leave.) I have noticed that the brighter kids are avoiding asking her problems. You would think she would notice that as well.

Crap.

Last year I had an older woman teaching with me. Had never taught before and kept saying she couldn't do math. (So why did they hire her - I have no clue.) She again wouldn't plan with me - but we had common planning. Instead she would just start helping and screw the kids up so badly I had to reteach often. I spoke with the department chair who gave the two of us lectures about working together.

I finally reached a point that I would see that she was misteaching and address the whole class with the correct way to do this. I don't want to do this again - I look like a difficult person and I don't think that I am. Maybe I'll talk with teacher 2. We seem to have a better rapport.

And document this up the whazoo.

Or say to heck with it and teach around her as I have been doing.

With the economy the way it is, who wants to rock the boat? They have move 2 teachers from other departments because of enrollments. Who wants to be complainer?

Head down, no noise, work hard - I can overcome this.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

That is the reason I won't team teach. Luckily, I have enough seniority to refuse.

Ricochet said...

It can be awesome - the second teacher and I should rock. I know I learned a lot from the one that worked well. I learned other things from the ones that don't. I think I'll keep my head down and document for a while. Wish I had seniority.