Thursday, August 6, 2009

More on furloughs - you value what you pay for.

It's interesting. As I read the different ways the various counties around here are dealing with the required 3-day furlough, I am learning a lot about how teachers view themselves and how others view teachers.

The state superintendent went on tv to assure the general population that they didn't need to worry about their children's education: the teachers would do the work needed to get school up and running even without pay.

A local school board member said that teachers need to learn to be conservative in the classroom. I think she meant that we needed to turn off the light when we weren't there.

On the one hand, I know things are tough all over and I am more than willing to think smart and do my part. On the other hand, I resent the state telling me that of course, I will work for free.

"They" say that there will be more furloughs after the first of the year. We have 10 non-student days. Only 3 are after Christmas. If they need more than 3 more, they will have to cut into student days.

No comments: