Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Trying new things

My repeater class continues to give me problems. I tried teaching out of a different book, using more activities, and only about 1/3 were engaged. Yesterday I tried something different and no one would respond to me, so I got out gum and tossed it at whoever would give me a right answer.

Today, I started at the beginning of the book, using the overhead, and worked the problems alongside them. Better response - for about 30 minutes then downhill.

It is time to write some up for classroom disruption.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I've had double period repeater classes--90 minutes long. I am happy when I can get them to work for 70 minutes. Those kids just don't have an attention span to do any more. In a 40 minute class, 30 minutes is about the work you can get.

I'm sure you are accomplishing more than you think. It is stressful. Don't let them get you down.

I find that those kids like chalk and talk the best.

Pissedoffteacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.