Tuesday, December 22, 2009

You can lead a student to an education

Walter Williams is one of the reasons I went into teaching. I have even written and told him so. He is a better teacher than I will ever be - I know because he "makes" me read articles about a topic I didn't enjoy as an undergraduate or graduate student.

I read this article - and despair. I do not see a solution in what he writes. He is black, an educator, well read and well thought of. If he cannot envision a solution, what hope do I have?

I build in projects into my classes which should help the students raise their grades and solidify the learning - they do not turn them in EVEN THOUGH I TELL THEM DAILY WHEN THEY ARE DUE AND WHAT IS REQUIRED.

I doubled the number failing with the last project, because they didn't turn it in.

So, to cover my fanny, I am emailing and calling to tell parents that Jhnny didn't turn it in and it is still due.

Why is this so difficult?

2 comments:

Kim Hughey said...

You are a braver woman than I am. I gave up assigning projects in my lower level classes years ago even when my school said I had to. Funny thing was, no one ever said anything to me about it. I think they were just glad I was the one dealing with "those" kind of kids.

I have always found that projects only help the grades of students who never really needed help in the first place and penalized the students who needed help with their grade the most.

Ricochet said...

I sent you an email.

Also - you can download a cool book at http://www.teachforever.com/