Friday, December 11, 2009

Interesting complement

Today John came to my room, wanting me to write another letter to a judge, since my last one worked so well. I told him he would have to tell me a lot more.

"Well," he says, "I was arrested at school last year for disruptive behavior."

What did you do?

"I cussed out a teacher. I was being bad. She sent me out in the hall to cool off. I stayed out there a while and came back in and she started in on me again. And I lost it."

I asked who the teacher was - she is a good teacher and a good person. So I asked a series of questions:

· Do you realize now that she was trying to help you?
· Were you wrong?
· Was she a good teacher?
· Did you like her except for that day?


Then I told him, I will write the letter but you have to do something for me first. You have to write her a letter of apology.

"Whoa, I already apologized." [I doubt it]

Yes, but you have to write her a letter. You know: “I was wrong to say what I did. I know you were trying to help me but I let my anger get the best of me.” It doesn’t have to be much. You show me the letter before you give it to her and I will write the letter for you.

I figure he seldom accepts responsibility for his actions. He is a large boy and has anger and control issues. His size means people either write him up or banish him or accept his behavior.

We'll see if he writes his letter - or not. Either way, I win.

3 comments:

teachin' said...

Love that idea. I hope he does it!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

He got arrested for cussing out a teacher? That is only a detention offense at my inner city school. Maybe, just maybe, if the kid punched out the teacher they would be arrested, but probably not. Now, shoot the teacher, and they get arrested. (Please don't think I'm being funny here.)

Ricochet said...

He told me he was arrested for cussing out a teacher.

He also told me he apologized to the teacher. Since he didn't apologize at the time (or ever, according to the teacher) and, I agree, they don't get arrested for cussing out a teacher, I am sure it was something else.

Heck, they barely get detention for profanity.