Thursday, December 17, 2009

Making Progress - in baby steps

One of my boys has given me grief all year long. His pants are down around his knees - but I get nothing but attitude when I say pull them up. He sleeps in class or cusses up a storm. I relish the days he is out. He tells me how much better teach Mr. Ego is "and he FAILED me!!"

I have simplified the repeater class so that they can pass.

I am not sure how this will work next semester with the state test, but I will figure it out before I get there.

Josh is passing my class. He finally realized it a week or so back. We have started playing games in this class to get them to do the work - and he is about the only one who sees the connection between playing the game and doing the math.

He stopped by to see me today just to talk. About what he wants to be. How he sees his life after high school. And I gave him a couple of ideas that we can pursue later to help him get there.

I feel connected.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I can relate. I hope it works. Every time I get my hopes up with one of them, they get dashed the next day.

Good luck.

Ricochet said...

I have no expectations for his class. It is sad - but I don't. They are repeating a course. He has had it 2 other times. I am not better than the other teachers. I will do the best I can, nurture where I can, and hope they make good decisions.

I understand I will be insulted quite a bit along the way. Luckily I have thick skin and do not define myself by who likes me today.

I don't need luck. I need wise voices from wise teachers - like you. Happy Hanukkah!

teachin' said...

If you're showing them that you care and making them successful, then, yeah, you ARE better than other teachers. Not every other teacher - but some. And the kids deserve that.

I feel like a lot of progress with the most troubled kids is 2 steps forward, 1.9 steps back, and that's frustrating. But I try to remember that they didn't get to the disastrous point that they're at in a day, and I can't get them beyond it in a day. It takes time and work, and I believe that together we can do it.

I'm glad Josh's opening up a little, even if he panics about it tomorrow and slams shut again. You'll have given him a moment that he connected to a teacher as a human, something he may never have had before. And that's valuable.

Ricochet said...

Amen! There are several of us who teach the same kids in the same classes in radically different locations. It is SO nice to know I am not alone - and so sad at the same time.

The look on a girl's face knowing she can solve equations and will get out of Algebra 1 after 6 tries - priceless!