Monday, December 7, 2009

getting to know you

I have asked my students to write one page about themselves for each of (up to 7) assignments that they are missing. My intent was to give them a chance without creating more work for me.

Two lately have told me things they don't tell many. One told me her mother basically abandoned her and told her that the mom never wanted her. Another told me she has piercings because it substitutes for cutting. (And she hasn't cut in 2 years now)

They asked me today if I had read what they wrote. I told the first one that (unfortunately) there is no test for parenting, that anyone can have a child but that doesn't make you a mom. And that she has a father who loves her.

Then the second asked if I read hers. I told her that I hoped she finds out why she wants to pierce or cut as she is a very bright and caring person (which I believe). She started crying. I hugged her and talked a while longer.

I hope they wrote what they did because they want someone to know. It doesn't fall under reportable stuff (it was obvious from the writing that DFACS has been involved).

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I try not to do stuff like this anymore--too much of a chance of getting in serious trouble by not reporting things. The kids get hurt in the end, but I just can't do it anymore. Unfortunately, they do tell me everything and more.

teachin' said...

As long as you're ready to report when you have to - and as long as you've told the kids that you would have to. They need someone to listen, someone to care, someone to show them that they're real and that they matter. Of course that's why they told you; they see that in you.