Friday, December 4, 2009

Love my students

I always have 2 versions of the test - I change a number or so in each problem and usually have no issue with cheating. Mostly, because I tell them I have no problem with them cheating as it will not help them.

I was going over a test today. A girl had earned a 28 and I was going over each question with her. Since I have 2 versions, I grade one version then the other. While I was going over the test, I had both of my keys in front of me. I told her I didn't know how she got the first answer. Ohm look - it;s the right answer for the other test. Oh, look, it is worked out correctly all the way through - for the other test. Oh, look, so is problem 2. . . . .

She said she got help, but it wasn't cheating. I said - copying off someone else's paper is cheating - but it obviously didn't help you. Remember, I ALWAYS have 2 versions of the test. Copy away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, very cool. You were able to catch a kid cheating in the moment. How did she handle it after she knew that she was caught?

Ricochet said...

Since I said "Oh, look this is the right answer, wrong test" she was a little abashed but not much. Technically, you see, it wasn't cheating. (No. I don't see the "technically" either).

I have decided to make three versions of the finals. I have (the I know) 3 cheaters. They are in different classes, so they will each get their own final. Since it is math, just change 1 number in each problem and the answers are different.

It is worth it to me to work another test in order to "reward" these three for cheating.

(One can't even copy numbers correctly and I have written "please make sure you copy ALL of the numbers next time." He wasn't amused.)