Friday, December 4, 2009

Further adventures of Funsucker

I don't like her.

I'm sorry. Is that obvious?

Today she was teaching. She did a better job than normal, involved the students in coming up with a list of items. (Normally it is her lecturing them or having them read aloud. They are Seniors,) But she couldn't control the class. The entire class was talking. She say hush, stop talking, are you ready to learn?, Shh Shhh SHhhhh.... and yet they talked.

I heard the students say: they aren't going to stop. Just teach the ones who want to learn. Can you give us the assignment so we can go ahead and do the work? And, finally, why don't you do what Ricochet does and talk real softly? It works for her.

Yes!! They noticed!!

Finally, I got up (I was grading papers - she yells at me if I offer any assistance), walked to the front of the room (she was talking), look at the class, then wrote 3 names on the board. They got quiet - instantly.

I sat down. They stayed quiet.

[I tell them writing names on the board is like a rattler's rattle. It is a warning. If I am still irritated when I get time to do a write up - and can remember what it was for, they get a write up. If they change their behavior, I will forget what it was and they don't get one.)

No comments: