Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Testing or teaching

When the various end of course tests were instituted (and we now have at least 8 that are required in high school and the state mandates that they count for 15% of the course), the state was promised it was to replace the 5 tests that comprise the high school graduation test. Nope, now we have all of these high stakes tests.

I believe that you should have to prove a certain level og knowledge in order to get a diploma. I think you should know basic mathematics, but do you need to know circle geometry? I think you should have a basic knowledge of the history of the United States, but do you need to take a test which is strictly regurgitation of American history?
.
My objection to the end of courses tests rest in the idea that I do not know what the testers think is important, so how do I prepare my students to pass it.

Well, we don't tend to pass either and therefore have not passed AYP - again.

I am in a class this week with a math teacher from a school that is ranked consistently in the top 5 [that would be 5 not 5%] in the state. My school ranks in the bottom 10%. At lunch we discussed the end of course tests. He teaches accelerated classes and feels that the tests are too easy and irrelevant for the kids he teaches. I think I am chasing something I cannot grasp. And the scores go up only because the lower the cut score.

Now, having said that, I think it is important that we do standardized tests so the teachers can tell how they do - but how do these 14 tests help my students?

1 comment:

LSquared32 said...

That's a shame. Specifications for end of year tests should be clear. You should be able to give a list of somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 specific things that are likely to be tested on. Specific to the point of: "students should be able to apply the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between points given in coordinate form", or, "students should be able to find angles in a diagram, using parallel lines, sum of angles in a triangle, vertical angles, and angles inscribed in a circle". Vagueness about what is going to be on such a test gives you a better idea of the depth of knowledge students have, but it does nothing to improve instruction. I am convinced that one can come up with a list that is both specific (so at least 80% of the test questions are not a surprise) and significant (so if students can do these things, they really do know all of the things you expect them to know at the end of the course. If you can't come up with a list like this, it probably means that you can't decide/agree on what should be in the course.