Monday, July 5, 2010

At last a game I can believe in! *edited*

Here is a copy of a game for determining transformations.

I am not a big fan of games in math. I have always enjoyed the math sufficiently for it to be its own game. But, I know the kids enjoy games.

I have used Jeopardy as a review tool and a few others, but it seems like a lot of work on my part for little reward on theirs.

Mostly the lower level wants to play trashetball, bit it is to the wadded up paper (apparently mine is better than theirs and new paper better than trash) rather than as a reward for doing math.

In a class I took last week, the teacher used an awesome game. His had 4 parts: 6 graphs of functions, 6 graphs of the first differentials, 6 strips with description of the functions and 6 with descriptions of the differentials. He had us work in pairs (no hitchhikers), no competition, lots of discussion.

The link above will take you to the one I am using with Algebra 2 for transformations. I really love this game.

If you chose to make a variation (and the possibilities are there), please let me know what you will do. Here are some I have come up with but not created:
1) graphs. Have several graphs, then equations in y-intercept form, then equations in point slope form, then tables of values. This could easily become several different games.
2) microbiology: slides and their descriptions
3) Conic sections with descriptions and equations.
4) function families with graphs, name, equations
5) parabolas: graph, vertices, equations, roots, whatever

What I like is after it is created, it is one batch for all the classes and can be used as preview and then later as review. Just shuffle before you put it away. You don't even have to put them on separate colors.

Update: This is the first time I have used Google Docs and I did not change the privacy settings. If you tried to see the file, go back and try again, please.

2 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Google docs says "not available".
Could you explain the rules or directions?

Ricochet said...

Please try it again.

That was the first time I had used Google Docs and I left it private. Now it is public. The instructions are on the last page - but you really need to see it. I am still so stoked!!