Sunday, July 11, 2010

Don't we wish more of them did this?

I ran across the blog of a tenured college professor who spent the last year teaching high school. I have not read the entire blog (I will), just the first and last, but I am intrigued to see how it went.

I wish the administrators in my school would commit to teaching one class a year. I think it might change the way they do things. But they will tell you they are too busy.

They divide the discipline up among the APs - each one gets a grade level. One is ineffective - she gives the bad kids candy, tells them the teachers are awful (probably tells then we are racist, but we wouldn't hear that back), pats the kids on the head, and sends them back to class. Do you think they mind at all at that point?

Then, when she decides to get serious and act like an adult, she yells at the kids - they think she has gone batshit and they STILL do not behave.

Oh, well. I have found another teacher in my school teaching the same thing with the same goals I have (not all teachers have the same goals, go figure). He is willing to split up the work and share so this should go better.

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Blomberg, Klein, Obama, Duncan, Rhee are the ones that need to teach as well. And how about giving a remedial class to Gates?

Ricochet said...

How about seniors the second semester?

Mrs. Chili said...

I have been pushing that my board be compelled to shadow a teacher for just one day - ONE DAY! - a semester before they go back and start making decisions about policy and budget. I don't think it's going to happen, though...