Saturday, February 27, 2010

Six Word Saturday



Casting seed corn to the wind.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.


This has been a discouraging week. Two students came off my roll because they haven't been here this semester. Another rwo will come off when they has been out another week or so because we know they don't intend to stay in school.

I wrote that homeschool kid withdrew and never said boo to me, but told another teacher that she wouldn't be returning because public school was such a waste of time. And it hurt my feelings some that she said nothing to me.

One girl transferred at the beginning of the week. While she said goodbye, it was nothing special to either of us.

And a student from last year was in the hall Wednesday withdrawing from school so he can do this online since he cannot pass public school (read: he will not do the work or follow the rules).

But, yesterday a student from last year came by to say goodbye because he is moving up north. It is an area with limited job prospects but they need to help his grandmother. And one of my successes from my remedial class is transferring to another district and came to say goodbye twice before she came to get her grade and sign out.

Both of these have my cell phone number in case they ever need me. Students are intrigued, appalled that I hand out my cell phone number at the beginning of the year and say call me if you have questions. They are convinced that I will get crank calls. I never do. I get three or four calls in the course of the year, but they are always legitimate. So, we'll see if either of these two ever call. I will miss them both.

4 comments:

monica said...

Have a good Saturday!

Caroline said...

Happy 6WS
Caroline

LeAnn said...

Being a teacher is hard work! Two of my sisters are teachers, so I hear their stories.

Call Me Cate said...

You sound like a very caring and wonderful teacher. Those kids are blessed to have you.

Thanks for playing 6WS!