Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My notebook

I decided to do a notebook in my repeater class. I give them the notes to copy and give them the option of copying more (A) or less (C) with an understanding of what that means.

I am bemoaning that it isn't working. It isn't being a miracle, but I think it is working as well as anything could in that class.

First, a half dozen were stolen. It is possible the kids misplaced them someplace else, but they insist they were taken from class.

Attendance is another issue. Currently I have 5 suspended out of school; 3 just came back. One has been sick this entire semester. Five have sporadic attendance. So 9 are coming regularly. And of those 9, six seem to be benefiting from the notes.

Attendance isn't something new for these kids. And it is probably the reason they are in the class to begin with. The average is 6.25 days. This translates to half have been out 1/3 of the time or more (6 or more days). 1/3 have been out half the time or more (9 or more days). You can't teach 'em if they are not here.

So - I will continue the notebook for the ones who come. I have the notes available to make up if you are out. Maybe that is the best I can do.

7 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

A lot of teacher blogs have been complaining about attendance issues. There has to be a better solution. How can teachers be responsible for teaching these students if they're not there? Students should have to do after school detention to make up time and work when they're absent over a certain number of days.

Ricochet said...

We cannot require anything before or after school because our students have no transportation, their parents cannot be relied upon to come and get them, and the area where they live is too large to expect that they can walk.

So, do I really think about whether or not to write up their behavior, yes. I have to constantly ask myself which is worse: what they are doing in class or the fact that they will earn out of school rather than in school suspension (since that is the population I teach and that is where we are in the school year) and what that translates to in THEIR education.

Pissedoffteacher said...

If they won't come to class, they certainly won't make it to before or after school detention.

We have been told that if the kids are not showing up, it is because we are not engaging them enough. It is always the teacher's fault.

Pissedoffteacher said...

If they won't come to class, they certainly won't make it to before or after school detention.

We have been told that if the kids are not showing up, it is because we are not engaging them enough. It is always the teacher's fault.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You do the best you can with the hand you've been dealt. More than that you cannot do. I hear your sigh, but I hope you're not beating yourself up over an issue over which you have little or no control.

Madeleine said...

I can relate to this - http://aphillieteacher.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/lets-look-at-the-numbers/

I finally sent my attendance stats to our principal who thankfully agreed it was an issue that needed attention (not my fault :)

We'll see what happens with that.