Thursday, February 4, 2010

Differentiation - how do you show evidence?

I know how to differentiate instruction. I know how to teach Johnny one way and Kate another and have them both understand the standard that is being addressed.

How do I put something on the wall that shows any, er, person coming into my room that I differentiate instruction when most is done on the fly?

==================

Today I had 4 people need to take the test I gave 2 days ago because they haven't come to class. I'd say they were sick, but all 4 have patterns of coming no more than 3 days a week.

I think the other teacher should take them someplace else so they can take the test in peace, but Funsucker thinks they need to get the same instruction as everyone else. (Hello, they never come to school so they are already not getting the same instruction).

So, I teach the new lesson, I administer the test, and she is wandering around the room. Differentiating instruction? Helping with new concepts? Nope, she spent the ENTIRE time gossiping with Girly about the boyfriend she (Girly) broke up with yesterday.

Meantime, these 4 test-takers have to be monitored to stay on task because they want to socialize, that is the only reason why they come to school. So I monitor, answer questions of the lesson, work the classwork, and watch Funsucker slack off.

What a waste of air.

71 more days.

2 comments:

Madeleine said...

You have my full sympathy. Why does Funsucker get such a large say in when/where students make up a test?

Ricochet said...

Because when I had a discussion with the AP about this, it was made clear what my role in this mess is. That is true of everyone who teaches with her. The good news is they tend to rotate her around.

They think she is wonderful.

She isn't.