Thursday, February 25, 2010

I want to ban breaks

Today was the 4th day since the break. They are still acting like we're about to have another.
* Group of kids were outside my door during a class - yelling down the hall. (Including some profanity) Two of the darlings were mine. I walked up to one (in his personal space) dropped my voice to almost a whisper and asked him in my most innocent voice if he had something he wanted to say.

* Curtis2 from yesterday is still pouting. I did figure out that he probably never heard me say show your work because, unless it directly relates to him, he doesn't hear anything. Since he wants attention, I am going to try to give him no more than his fair share (not the amount he demands). This has required ignoring him.

* I wrote up about 6 other darlings for stupid stuff I don't even want to think about.

I did come up with an idea. One of the classes I teach has only word problems. I finally suggested to 2 that they use a highlighter (mine) to mark the numbers. It was obvious I need to teach this method tomorrow.

I have a student who will be transferring tomorrow. I asked her what grade she thought she deserved (I remember a college professor doing this. Does it surprise you that it was abnormal psychology?). She looked at me (I mean, really looked at me) and said "I deserve a B. I haven't done what I should have done to earn an A." That is soooooo insightful. And correct.

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Well, at least she didn't think she deserved a B when she'd really earned a D. That's what MY kids would say...

Pissedoffteacher said...

So, does writing them up do any good? It doesn't mean a thing in my school.