Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Another trip down the rabbit hole

I swear I can't make this stuff up.

* I was standing in the hall before the students are allowed in the school, doing my duty and keeping them out. So, I asked everyone who wanted past me where they were going (I then checked all of these and ended up writing up 3 for lying).

One girl took offense to my asking and called me a b***h so I got to write her up also. But she told me I couldn't talk to her like this because she is 19 years old..... Oh, and I had an attitude! (I just asked where she was going).

* We have to stand in the hall between classes. So I go into the class at the beginning of one and a very exasperated secretary is on the intercom wanted to know why I called her. I didn't push the button. So who did she demands. I don't know, I've been out in the hall.

It turns out one of my darlings (you do know these are seniors, right?) had pushed the button - but it was ok, Ricochet, because it didn;t work. Yes it did Clown, because they called me. But it didn't make any noise - so I pushed it a lot. No wonder she was exasperated!!!

* When I was taking notes in my meetings with Funsucker I always asked her what she wanted to teach. I stopped taking notes when she took mine - so she just writes down what she wants to teach and never says anything to me. Then today (when she was supposed to be teaching - because I can read upside down) she started helping one student (with 29 sitting there waiting) while I asked repeatedly are you going to start the next section - I ended up teaching it.

* I handed back quizzes today and a student was irate that I marked wrong answers well, wrong. Other people got partial credit (because they showed me work). This was patently unfair and I have never done this before. I could not get him to move on. Obviously, I have ALWAYS done it this way (duh, I am trying to pass them). I finally realized he had never heard me say show your work to get partial credit BECAUSE HE NEVER STOPS TALKING.

I wrote about Curtis last year. I have one just as needy this year. It is hard to deal with someone who is ALWAYS playing for attention.

I just want a normal day when I can teach. I am getting tired of these histrionics.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

No one who is not involved in teaching would eve believe the crap we deal with. And, the solution--close the schools and blame the teacher. We are living in a very sick world.

Madeleine said...

BECAUSE HE NEVER STOPS TALKING.

I have that same student! today he overdosed on broadcasting his every thought by constant, loud talking while he texted! Next he was showing around a photo someone had attached to a message . . good lord!

Since taking a cell phone from a student is like taking food from a pit bull, I finally wrote him up. Let his dean deal with this.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You don't want my "normal" day. I don't think you want your "normal" day either. Maybe a quiet day for both of us? What a relief that would be!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

Here's my daily crazy--sophomore threw a quarter at his math teacher and it hit her in the forehead. When taken to the detention room, he also got in trouble for wearing red (illegal color due to gangs). The money throwing incident didn't seem to phase him but he became irate about his red shorts. "I didn't have any other clean clothes." Life in an inner city high school.