Sunday, January 24, 2010

co-teaching HA!

In theory, the model we use in our school is co-teaching" two equal teachers. I teach math, I understand the concept of equivalency.

It is not equivalent when one person provides all the material and does 95% of the copying. I am not allowed to call it my room because it is OUR room. Not when I am buying the crap that you cheerfully use and never replenish.

It is not equivalent when you get to decide that there is no need for a meeting (even though you have been told by people with actual power [not me] that you have to arrange to meet with me once a week). And then think I am going to pull something out of the hat that we have not discussed but you suddenly think is the thing to do, with 30 minutes of class left.

It is not equivalent when you talk over me when I am teaching or calling roll. ("Don't interrupt me. I didn't interrupt you. Act like a lady." may be the next thing that I say to you in class.)

79 more days.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know a special ed teacher who is team teaching and has the exact problem in reverse. The math teacher is a lazy ass who does nothing.

Ricochet said...

And if she and I could teach together - what a rockin' time we'd have.

I know co-teaching can work. It requires mutual respect.

And what I have is a teacher who thinks SPED is beneath her and wants a general ed position where she is on her own. With a gopher on the side to do the schlep work.

:P

It's bitch or blow time - but only 79 more days.