Sunday, January 17, 2010

Birthday money

At Olderthandirt HS they do something that I haven't seen in the surrounding areas. I don't know if it is specific to the culture or the economics of this area.

When a student has a birthday, his friends give him (or her) money which is then pinned to the clothing of the birthday person. One of my students talked about going to a rehearsal dinner for a wedding on his birthday and passing a hat and collecting money.

It is only one ethnic group that does this.

My children (different culture and economics and school) take birthday presents to their close friends - but I have never seen this money thing before.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I've never seen it either and Queens is one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the country.

Ricochet said...

I have seen money trees at weddings. I just haven't seen this - must be a local thing.