Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Value Added

Nope, not going where you think.

I had someone send me a particularly snarky email today. This same person complained to the powers that be that another teacher gave a test and (horrors!!) let her students use NOTES for the test.

The teacher (I will call him Mr. Inept) doesn't score well on state tests and spends most of him time pulling other people down rather than finding a way to boost everyone up. I am currently trying to teach a dozen of his kids. I say trying because they HATE math and I am having difficulty getting them to give me a chance - or maybe they are just dweebs.

But, there are some teachers interested in raising everyone so we get better and some that want to raise themselves by making everyone else look like crap.

One of the current rumors is that IF we fail AYP again, the principal and half the teachers will be replaced. Maybe that is the impetus. But, if I were in charge of replacing teachers, I wouldn't keep someone like Mr. Inept.

The communication is even worse this year than in the past. Talking about stressors.

1 comment:

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

Your school and its situation remind me so much of the inner city school I just left. That should NOT offer comfort but in so many ways, it does!