Saturday, September 18, 2010

Six Word Saturday



I am an anarchist at heart.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

I really don't like rules - and I work in a school with too many, and some are ridiculous.

I like structure - but I hate (really truly hate) assigning seats. It seems like another ridiculous rule. It has worked so much better with assigned seats - I cannot tell you how much easier it is to teach and how much it frustrates my anarchist soul to have to ASSIGN the students a place to sit so that they can pass a required course.

I read this discussion on whose responsibility it was to maintain order earlier this week and discussed it with the problem classes - in those classes more than half thought it was the teacher's. Sigh. And that is why I must assign seats.

6 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I don't assign seats in my classroom. I tell the students they may sit wherever they want--but if it doesn't work for me or for the rest of the class, I will move them!

Ricochet said...

I have struggled with three (THREE!!!!) classes throughout this year (6 weeks). I am taking it slow because I have (at most) assigned 2 or 3 seats per class. I have about halfway through each class, assigning people where they need to be. I will assign everyone, because I can see that I have to, but I still hate it.

Elaine said...

Allowing them to sit where they like and then moving them if they talk - is that a bit like assigning seats, but works out much better for everyone? Sorry, not being argumentative, just thinking aloud.

Ricochet said...

Elaine, yes in every other class I have taught, that is the way it works. It isn't working that way with this group of kids.

Jeanie said...

Well, they will someday be assigned a desk or an office or workstation of some sort, so I guess it is good preparation for the real world.

Lola said...

Hi again!

My 64U:
Agree with Jeanie below: good preparation!

Have a restful weekend,

LOLA:)

Is Lady Gaga A Feminist Icon?