Thursday, September 9, 2010

Depth of Knowledge

Someone I know has been told they will be using "depth of knowledge" as the goal (or means, neither of us is sure) to improve teaching. She is a new teacher and told me everything she could remember, but, while it sounds like a great thing, the whole thing sounds like a lot of educratese.

She is "supposed to take the lesson to a new level" and the stress is on the use of certain words, but surely it is the concept not the words.

The more she discussed the meetings they have had, the more it smacks of semantics.

Has anyone else heard of this?

2 comments:

Sonja said...

actually - yeah - DOK has been a buzzword in WV for a couple of years. We are supposed to work on teaching kids more than just basic factoids and testing them on recall of those factoids. Interestingly, the more I learned about it - the more I realized that this is something I already do. I teach sp. ed. resource science kids and bland, facts and recall style tests would bury me with kids who would destroy the class. For years I've known we had to find deeper "meanings" and current topics for the curriculum and make it relevant to the students in order for them to connect. I can see this is easier in some curriculums than others - but it's not much that's new.

Ricochet said...

Funny Thing, are you willing to email me at ricochet04@gmail.com = I have some more questions I would rather not post here.