Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I had a student tell me something today

I really wish she hadn't. She started talking about the Dream Act - then told me she was here illegally. She said she couldn't go to college. The way our state works is that you pay out of state tuition if you are not legal. But today's news is that certain colleges in Georgia may refuse to accept illegal immigrants. Schools like Georgia Tech, University of Georgia, and others who already turn away large numbers of legal state residents may start refusing to take those not here legally. Some of this is in response to the KSU student who has been proudly announcing she is illegal - after she was arrested for driving without a license, thus reinforcing the idea that illegals abuse ALL laws.

So, of course, there is immediately an editorial voicing the other side: that we all lose if we don't treat the children of illegals as if they were citizens. I think if some of us are held accountable for following the laws, we all should have to follow the laws, not pick and choose.

So then I read a quote from Obama's aunt: "If I come as an immigrant, you have the obligation to make me a citizen."

Really.

On a lighter note, here are series of maps calledMapping Europe by stereotypes drawn by (I think) a Bulgarian. You know, the English view of Europe, America's view of Europe, etc. Equal opportunity offense.

I really wish she hadn't shared.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Over the years many kids have told me they are illegal. I always advise them to keep their mouths shut about their situation--you never know who is listening and will file a report. My heart breaks for many of them.

Ricochet said...

Agreed.

We are told not to ask (and I don't). I did tell her what I understood of the law - and that to deal with her status as soon as she can.