Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Funsucker will not do her job

I gave a test today. Funsucker is a special ed teacher and there are 4 kids with small group testing in their IEP.

1) She will not take those 4 (and a few more, so as to not single them out) out without first disrupting the entire class by asking who wants to go with her. (Since she gives kids answers -and, yes, I have heard her do this - all the lazy ones want to go with her).
2) Then she disrupts my portion of the class by sending them back early.
3) She will not assist the ones with IEPs - she wants to work with the general ed kids.

Why do I need her in my room if she will not do her job?

5 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Isn't this just so incredibly infuriating!!!!? I suppose it should make us feel a little better that it doesn't just happen to us, and it seems to be a universal problem. Nah, that doesn't make me feel any better, now that I think about it.... ;-)

Ricochet said...

What I find really scary/annoying is this becomes a legal issue and I cannot get anyone in the administration to back me up. (I was told I cannot tell her how to teach. I am not trying to tell her how to teach- I want her to do her job.)

Mr. W said...

ahh special ed. Well you have read my drama.

I had some kids go out for collaboration and come back with another teacher's writing on the test working out the problems for them. Really? Where does it say that in the IEP?

How can she legally take out the non IEP kids? That seems to be a pretty big problem there.

Ricochet said...

We encourage a few non special ed kids to go out since it doesn't single out the special ed kids. My problem is when she cares more about the gen ed kids than the special ed ones.

Mr. W said...

ohhh the classic "embarrassing of special ed kids". Parents here are fighting to get their kids into special ed because of all the perks that go into it. Extra time on all tests, including the SATs now. Use of notes all the time.

My wife is a kindergarten teacher in our district and she dealt with a parent who tried to get the district and 2 doctors to say her child needed to be in special ed and no one would agree with her. She just wanted all of the perks.

So I guess what I am saying, in our school people actually wish they were in special ed.