Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hurray! Conference week

Next week is conference week. I have a high failure rate (the students will not turn things in, costing most about 20 easy points, will not listen to reviews or lessons - well, you know) but the parents don't care.

I have several who are trying to get their kids to drop out - yeah, that's a solution.

One dropped out last week because the teachers in this week offer no support (I have 8 tutoring sessions scheduled a week - they just have to come). He is now in jail, arrested for selling drugs 2 days after dropping out. He had a 19 for me.

These are depressing times. When I feel I make no difference. I keep telling myself, I cannot save them all. I work on the ones I can save.

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Your blog list is impressive--and not just because I'm on it! I'll be interested to see it metamorphose over time.

As for saving kids, yes, it's sad but true: Some are salvageable, and some are not. We do what we can, shoving guilt to the farthest recesses of our minds.