Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It is a new semester - and with it comes . . .

credit recovery.

Yep, the little darlings that couldn't be bothered to do the work on the teacher's schedule think that now they should through a bunch of crap, er, stuff on paper and pass.

I had to tell 2 that they had grades in the 50s, I am not interested in creating more work for them nor am I interested in grading anything that was due before Christmas just so they could copy it from someone else.

"Why would I copy someone else's work" one asked, all offended.

I don't know - why would you bother to do it now, a month after it was due?

So I told them to take the standards and write notes for each standard (that means each line) and 2 or three problems for each standard and work the problems. And I will grade for accuracy.

I figured they wouldn't bother.

I watched one of them working for 2 solid hours. And one of them running his mouth and interfering with my class (since they haven't changed his schedule yet). I told him he should be making better choices and do the recovery.

"Why? I have 2 more weeks. I'll get it done."

Because you are not giving me any incentive to grade it.

Another had a 30 in one class and a 60 in another (neither are my classes) and she wanted to talk recovery. I said maybe the 60 but not the other, unless that teacher had given her work.

"She gave it to me before the break."

Did you do it?

"No, it seemed pointless."

Hmmm, I say, in my best Nanny McPhee impersonation.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chili said...

Wait... are you ME?! My life is EXACTLY this right now - down to the quotes.

Ooof.