Monday, January 3, 2011

"I just want to teach"

I read this article and I want to quit.

We sat in professional development today (yes, I didn't call in a bomb threat - I did think about it). He told us to sell the way we teach to the students - but he told us to be sure we "sell out." WTF?

I listened to what he want, and I am like the teachers in the "I just want to teach" article. There is not enough time to do it well. When I try to explain, I am told I am a nay-sayer. So I can try to do the impossible . . .

I feel like I already sold out.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Maybe you can ask for a commission?

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you. I was there myself last spring...

T. Banks said...

They will eventually have to find another way to assess us. New teachers will be hurt the most by this and if we aren't producing new teacher's then what.. I feel like they didn't learn from APS at all.

A Phillie Teacher said...

New teachers? I feel sorriest for Teach for America candidates.

They are surely considered "disposable" by the powers that be. They're worked super hard, given very little training then let loose in the classroom.

When they burn out or become totally disillusioned and move on, no problem -- another generation of TFA is ready to step in.