Saturday, January 22, 2011

Friends

It has been an interesting week. At one point Sally asked me "We used to be friends. What happened?"

I didn't answer her. If I had, I would have said "A murderer will kill you, a thief will steal from you but you'll never know where you stand with a liar."

And she lied to me when we were first getting to know each other, not directly but by implication. I have no tolerance for that.

I would also have told her that we were friendly but had not become friends yet. She moved here from New England and I spent a lot of time trying to help her understand Southerners. Sometimes people from outside the South assume Southerners are morons. Southerners know this and play stupid sometimes to learn more about their "opponents". I also tried to explain the complexity of race relations. In any case, she didn't listen.

And when I figured out that she lied, there was (and is) a distance there that I do not see going away.

Add that her goal is to become administration, well, need I say more?

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

For some reason, when I read this, the first thing that popped into my head was, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Ricochet said...

Agreed, but how much would you tell someone like that?

Pissedoffteacher said...

You have a real friend in NY.

Ricochet said...

(: And I knew that before I met you in person. You understand what I am saying, though, don't you?