Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just shoot me now.

1) I give a test in an Algebra 2 class. One question has something like a = b/c and NO MORE THAN 3 INCHES AWAY FROM THIS QUESTION is a series of numbers, including b = 42 and c = 30. So, one would think they could substitute and get a = 42/30 or 1.4.

No.

This was too hard, they couldn't get it, oh my what are you doing to us.

Are you kidding me?

I explained it on the board (with an example) and gave their tests back. Lord knows what the grades will be like.

2) My seniors have checked out. Unfortunately, they owe me a lot of work and I am getting peeved.

3) A boy libeled me because he thought I was picking on him. I had my hand slapped and was told I do not discipline enough and that I am selective in my discipline. I put a sign on my door that I am enforcing each and every school rule, no exceptions. I have written up 30 things this week. Can you hear me now?

4) But the kicker is a faculty meeting we had today, talking about Common Core and that we will be required to test 4 times a year, instead of the 1 we do now. By computer. We don't have enough to do all of a department at one time.

Shoot me now.

Then I read this. Oh, God, that's what they mean.

Shoot me now.

4 comments:

Rho said...

We have 1 computer lab with slow, refurbished computers. I labe for 350 5-12th graders.
So all subjects have to sweat it to try to get any time there.
BUT we now have Rosetta Stone as our foreign language course(s). It takes over the ONE computer lab for 4 out of 8 periods every day.

How in the hell are we supposed to give computer tests 4 times a year for everyone? Or even for one class year?

Special ed dept got laptops and ipads to help give the OGT tests.

What a nightmare, but don't forget, anything that goes wrong is all the teachers' fault.

Glad I am retiring in three years!

Rho said...

Sorry-can't type tonight:
1 lab
360 9th-12th graders

Mr. W said...

funny I just left a comment on that Joanne Jacobs story.

Yeah my seniors have checked out but they realize they aren't going to get a "gimmie grade" so if they want to pass they are still working. Those that don't care...are failing.

Madeleine said...

That link to the testing hell school district creeped me out. What a sad, miserable place for students and teachers!

We get "walk-throughs" all the time. Since I teach juniors, I get more walk-throughs than the other teachers. Just before state testing it was a walk-through daily to check that we had written our objectives in a prescribed way on the board.

Not once did they pause to see if students were engaged in activity, just wanted to Big Brother the teacher.