Saturday, April 16, 2011

Just shoot me part 2



I wrote about the current challenges here.

Now there is no tenure in Georgia. Which means, when your power-hungry principal gets a hair up his/her butt and decides that you are the worst teacher in your department because it's Tuesday (not because you are awful but because he/she can), there is no protection.

FML WHY did I decide to teach at a point that it is not much more than slave labor? Between what some kids expect, what some parents expect, and what some administrators expect, this is the job from hell.

And the short answer is because of THOSE students who you touch, who look at you when you have solved a problem and say (sincerely) "You don't know what this means to me." Yes I do, Grasshopper, yes I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I link this to my blog or use the picture? I think the picture explains a lot on when power hungry principals go after teachers.

Ricochet said...

I stole the picture from http://mycottagelife.blogspot.com/ written by Susan in SC. I think she took it from someplace else.

Steal away!!

Mr. W said...

I just wrote about this on Joanne's blog. So I will just repost my thoughts here.

should be interesting to see the last effects of all of these anti-union anti-tenure bills passing through various states. If everyone keeps laying off older teachers to save money…I mean keep younger teachers who have more enthusiasm..where is the experience going to come from?

I have been teaching for 8 years and still don’t have it down. I made some major grades to my classroom this year and I won’t be able to see the effects for at least another year. What some people fail to realize is that a good teacher that does something has to also take into account the students they have. Is it the teaching method or is it the students? Or is it the teaching method that clicked with the students. Every year is a re-evaluation of what worked and what didn’t. Then you have to think, will it work with a different group of students?

I started doing daily quizzes everyday 3 years ago. They weren’t random questions on the chapter we were doing, but rather review of graphing, factoring, and systems of equations (those are 3 big standards in CA). That year I had 76% advanced or proficient. Clearly I thought it was my new quizzes that did it. I haven’t got back to that number, but am still in the 60′s. This year I doubt I will hit 25%, so what does that mean for me? Do my teaching styles not work anymore? Or is it the students that are different and I just can’t get to them?