Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How to raise the bar and make it accessible simultaneously

The phrase of the year is "depth of knowledge" and we are supposed to increase rigor by asking questions that tap into the students' knowledge.

Ok.

How do you do that successfully when you cannot be heard over the inane talking they do?

I told them the classwork was a quiz grade. I wrote it on the board. I said (and wrote) that I would not accept it tomorrow. I DID MORE THAN HALF OF IT ON THE BOARD. I graded for completion not accuracy (shoot me - I am behind and that was easier).

Half did not turn it in.

I don't know how to raise their grades. And they don't seem to care.

4 comments:

Mr. W said...

hahaha I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I assigned 6 problems...6. I gave them 15 minutes in class to start it. Out of 28 students I only had 8 turn it in...8 out of 28! And I am a bad teacher if they aren't proficient or advanced.

Worst part is that I emailed the parents of the other 20 students, only 1 replied back. Nice huh?

http://kwendland73.blogspot.com/2011/03/inside-four-walls-so-much-for-that.html

Pissedoffteacher said...

Universal problem--these kids don't want to be in school and there is nothing we can do about it. Alternative programs are needed. I wonder if anyone will ever wake up and see this.

Mr. W said...

probably not.

Some teachers at our school think politicians shouldn't make schooling mandatory. That would probably help weed out some of the nons.

Ricochet said...

Agreed - If some of these kids were allowed to work instead of school, everyone would be happier - at least for awhile.