Friday, April 1, 2011

And once again the 5% outweighs the 95%

I do know that most of the kids that I teach are good kids - not great mathematicians, but good kids.

I know that it warms my heart when someone tells me that I explain math in a way that they get it. That math makes sense when I teach it. That they like me. Oh yes, I don't want to be their friend, but it matters that they come around and say that they like me.

I like most of the kids I teach. Not all of them, I will admit, but most of them.

It mattered when one of my classes turned the corner this week. They started working, they were enthusiastic, they were fun to be with.

It mattered when 4 of my former hellions, came up to me, individually, and asked me to teach them next year.

But that all got wiped out my an awful email from a mother who wants my job. I don't know why, she cannot do it. Her daughter thinks that just because teachers have an education doesn't mean they should be able to tell her anything. She does fine on her own.

I was surprised at the kids who defended me.

I am not surprised that the administration did not.

(I am fine - they are jerks.)

And I ask myself - again - as I did last year. Why am I letting the 5% outweigh the way I feel about the 95%? I am an idiot.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know how you feel. I let little things get me down too.