Saturday, March 19, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Basic manners are not really basic.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

And common courtesy isn't common.

By the time I teach students, I expect that they have learned certain things.

They haven't.

They announce, loudly, while I am teaching "I am out of paper." 1) that is a statement not a question and 2) I have already told you where I put things for your use. I try (and am not always successful) to not be sarcastic in my replay.

OK, you are failing two classes, back to back. Do you really think that showing up late to mine because you are trying to fix the other grade is excused when you tell me (not ask me) "I was in social studies."

Mr. Administrator: I have a planning period and an email. You could have asked me to come see you rather than chasing the kids out of my room so you could chew me out. I realize you don't read your email - the rest of us do. (And, yes, the kids could figure it out.)

It was a long week and the next two will be as well. I am tired and cranky as are you. That is why manners were invented.

9 comments:

Ron. said...

What's that you say? Basic human consideration? A little common courtesy? Empathetic kindness? Intuitive sensitivity?

HAH! It's 2011, and you're working in a school system! dream on!

Unknown said...

Dropping by from 6WS - I appreciate your words about manners.
Sadly, we can teach our own children, but as you say it's not so 'basic' especially when it's someone eles children.
Teaching would have to be one of the hardest jobs on the planet - I applaud you and others like you.

Cheers, Fi

Mrs. Chili said...

This is one of my big things. How hard is it, People?! GAH!

ChiTown Girl said...

Yeah...what Ron said... ;-)

Linda said...

What a hard job! I know I couldn't do it. Hang in there.

Happy Saturday!

Kasi said...

That is so true. Manners are far and few between with teaching. I teach 4 and 5 year olds in a daycare. Found your blog from Six Word Saturday

A Phillie Teacher said...

I liked the paper comment. I always hear, "I don't have a pen."

This isn't meant as a request for something to write with. It's a statement saying, "I have an iron-clad reason for not doing any work unless you give me a pen."

My response is always, "Welcome to high school. (I teach jrs and seniors) I don't give out pens." Somehow they manage to find one.

And if they don't, all the work they should have done that day suddenly counts as a quiz and he/she gets a 0. Works great!

Elaine said...

I absolutely agree too! Ron expressed it well.

Call Me Cate said...

I suppose it's hard for the kids to learn common courtesy and basic manners if they aren't seeing it at home. My husband's niece and nephew are awful - exactly like their parents. It must be super frustrating in the classroom.

Thanks for joining 6WS again this week!