Saturday, March 5, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Queen of Denial - living in Delusion.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!


I wonder if I see myself - my limits, my failures - as clearly as I think I do.

I watch students and teachers say, and do, things that clearly show they do not see themselves.

I talked with a girl earlier this week who is catapulting to the nowhere and warned her that the Powers That Be were growing tired of her antics. It wasn't one class later that she was cussing out a teacher and on her way home - again.

I had been telling her that she needs to be in class to learn. Her behavior was her choice and the consequences are her consequences.

Funsucker and Highmaintenance are doing a wonderful dance that seems more highly scripted as time goes on, as each fully expects the other to change. HM expected she would get an assistant to kowtow to her and do HM's work. FS expected she would have the same. It would be a match made in heaven if each would do the work assigned to them - but each one figures that is what the OTHER is for.

They complain to everyone. Since we have the same complaints about each, we're just watching the dance.

But the Queen takes the cake. We have no teaching unions in Georgia - at least not in this part of Georgia. Even if we did, I think Queen has set herself beyond their purview. She violated one of the basics about being a teacher - but cannot help herself as continues to careen around.

It would be as if a bookkeeper embezzled money and came in late on the day the embezzlement was discovered - and then figured all the hoorah was over the tardy and not the embezzlement. (Any more specific and I would give the game away).

Queen tries to pull us into her web - er, the game, and we don't want any part of it. The sad thing is, I believe that she believes it is all about the tardy, when that is the minor piece of the discussion.

So, my goal is to see myself more clearly, to provide a shining example so the students can aspire to this as well. And to improve.


Lest I be concerned that denial is merely an educational activity, Dan Rather can always be counted on to provide comic relief and to prove he is King of Denial.

6 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh yes goals get us there, or actually on the road to some place anyway! You just never know until you try...Your six words fit me as well...great choice!

Lisa said...

I think I own some property in Delusion. I visit there often. Maybe you could come stay on my property for a different perspective on Delusion.

Loved your post.

annies home said...

I am always telling my children not to be the norm but be more be the one that sets the examle that strives for what is right

Sarah said...

But how others see us has just as many delusions!

Know thyself..... that's the best part about getting older. Only 35 now but, man oh man, if I'd known myself better from the git-go how much easier this all would've been.

Don't worry about delusions. Unless you're nutty, it's not so much 'delusion' as it is 'point of view.'

Bethe77 said...

Visiting from the six words or less. Like your writing here on your blog, you are a great writer.
Blessings

Call Me Cate said...

Seeing ourselves more clearly seems to be the key to so much in life. I love Sarah's observation though that how others see us has just as many delusions. Some because of what we choose to reveal, some because their perception of us is colored by their perceptions of themselves.

Thanks for playing 6WS!