Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquakes

The earthquake in Japan is frightening and devastating. It is hundreds of times worse than the one in Haiti a year ago.

But, given the difference in the two cultures, does anyone want to guess which will be rebuilt first?

Some of it has to do with with wealth, granted. Japan is wealthier than Haiti but has no more resources - except for its people.

My uncle was in Japan after WW2 and has told of women hauling rocks in baskets and the people rebuilding the roads by hand.

I predict that Japan will recover from this earthquake while Haiti is still struggling.

It comes down to culture.

How do we teach the culture and work ethic that the Japanese have to our students? Think of what they could do, where they could go.

I pray for the Japanese but I know they will overcome this.

I pray for the Haitians, I don't think they will.

2 comments:

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Probably more sadly true than any of us want to admit, and it happens in America, too...

ChiTown Girl said...

You hit the nail on the head here.