Saturday, March 12, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Real friends don't add to pain.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,


Hopped in my car yesterday, actually early, and headed home with plans of how to maximize the weekend.

I got about 3 miles from the school when NO JOY and the car floomped. So I pulled off to the side and called AAA. I do not know why it takes them FOR EV ER but it takes them longer when you are off the beaten path. And it was cold.

I was still on the phone with them when a car pulled up behind me - one of my teacher friends. Most teacher friends (as opposed to teacher acquaintances) are people you see a couple of times a week and would like to get to know but you don't really know and probably never will. They are friend-potential.

But Cyndi stopped and (even when I told her she didn't have to stay) stayed. We talked for the 2 hours it took for the tow truck to come. She followed me to the garage where I left my car and then we went to dinner (I paid) while I waited for Mr. Ricochet to come and get me.

And we talked. And talked. And talked. It was so much fun!! I would have liked it more if I wasn't facing the fix-my-car fee that I am, but that is unavoidable.

And I am so grateful that Cyndi stayed because my phone died and I would have been sunk without hers!

I think she is no longer friend-potential but friend!

Contrast that with someone I knve known for decades who got jealous (after seeing me as audience and red-headed-step-child from the beginning - now I have something to make her jealous and it is not a pretty sight). We used to be close - that boat sailed a long time ago. She thought I should quit working and be a stay-at-home mom (which was never my goal). I salute those who can, but that was never me. I tried explaining that and finally annoyed her when I asked what she DID all day. Yes, she had three boys, but they were in school and she hires her housekeeper.

Anyhow, she threw a temporary monkey wrench because she can. My friend (and, yes, you are not a potential friend either) PO will understand my desire to plot revenge - although my husband keeps putting the kibosh on most of them (most, not all). (you might find this interesting.)

My waking thought these days is: karma is a bitch and so am I.

6 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know why she stayed--you are a great person to be with. I'm sure she had as good a time as you did. Sorry about the car problems but at least soemthing good came out of it.

Ricochet said...

Agreed!!

Kathe W. said...

you had what I call a Happy Accident Day- how nice that your new friend juat happened upon you-

21 Wits said...

YOU are SO right on!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I so appreciate today's words of wisdom. Thank you! (I'm still packing, will leave for south of the border in about eight hours--early Sunday a.m.)

Call Me Cate said...

I'm so glad for the Cyndi's in this world. Your six words are very true. Thanks for playing!