Saturday, March 12, 2011

Predictions

About this point in each semester I make predictions about who I think will fail.

It usually has less to do with the current grade than the current attitude.

Sometimes I can see how to change that, sometimes not.

I have a group in one class that feed on each other. There is no place to move them, so I predict a mass drowning.

Which leads me to another discussion. It appears in this school that there is a culture that leads the kids to make dumb decisions. They would rather stuff socks in their bras (for the predictable laugh) than prepare for a standardized test that will determine whether they graduate.

I have no idea how to change that culture.

I am not good at classroom management in situations like this and add a large class - forget it.

This summer I will have some time to rethink and retrain myself. Any suggestions?

Please share.

3 comments:

Mr. W said...

Don't feel too bad. My Algebra B class this year is my lowest ever. And I mean ever. I will post my predictions for my CST scores in a month or so and I am usually pretty close for Algebra B. Right now, I would say only 5 of the 29 would be proficient or advanced, that's only 17%. I am usually in the 60's to 70's. A little drop off right?

Mr. W said...

oh and as far as your student problem? I stopped trying to change students' attitudes awhile ago. I will still tell them what is right and why, but I'm not going to beat myself up trying to get them to see the point of it. If they do great, if not they will probably fail. It's the whole leading a horse to water thing.

Ricochet said...

I had 16% pass the state test in the fall (that is pass, not exceeds).

My scores will not be that high with one class I am teaching now.