Saturday, September 17, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Is anybody listening to anyone anymore?



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

I read this article yesterday and really didn't think about the implications until I got to the bottom. (OK, I am probably insensitive. It has been a long week.)

This is a teenage mother. Researching something she needed for a job interview. The interview was the next day. She is in the library and her baby makes noise.

She was asked to leave.

Then it gets out of control.

The juror, who found her guilty, said it should never have gone to court. And then he said the peice that whapped me upside the head.

“The supervisor could’ve talked to her for more than the two minutes she said she did. And the officer could’ve said, ‘tell me a little bit about what’s going on.

“But he didn’t, and she didn’t. Both said ‘move on.’”

Simmons said such behavior on the part of the adults is frightening, considering the potential trouble teens and youth can find themselves in when they don’t feel they're being heard.

“I think we all need to sit back and watch how we handle these young people,” he said “I don’t think it would’ve escalated if they had taken time to address the issue.”


Wow.

I thought about some of the single mothers I teach. Teenagers without a lot of self control on good days. I feel humbled.

5 comments:

Linda said...

That's so sad. That girl should have had some self-control, yes; but what happened to hearing both sides of a story?

It's quite possible she may not now go back, and will find it that much harder to get a job.

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing! Much to think about. Have a wonderfully blessed SWS.

Kasi said...

WOW...

Self Sagacity said...

didn't sound so good, too bad. Now a day a job is hard to come by.

betty said...

visiting from 6-word Saturday; It is sad it had to come to a court case and the implications of that.

betty